Cooperative Rural Electrification of San Carlos (Coopelesca) is hoping to start a program this year to install small power plants on the properties of consumers who have suitable exposure to wind or solar power. Last year, Coopelesca generated 60 percent of its own power and purchased the remaining 40 percent from the National Telephone and Power Company (ICE).
The implementation of the small power generation project is in its early stages. Coopelesca has recently approved the procedures and requirements for applicants to enter into a legal agreement for the interconnection. The plan would require property owners to give their surplus to the cooperative in exchange for reducing their energy costs. The cooperative would pay for the equipment and its installation.