A forum between officials from the Ministry of Health, Social Security Fund (CCSS), the the College of Physicians, has issued a series of recommendations for new policy to govern health care in Costa Rica. These include the following.
- Ministry of Health must take lead role granted by the law, so that action is effective and meaningful.
- Costa Rica must update the National Health System, adapting new demographic and epidemiological profile.
- Correct problems at the first level of health care, by strengthening the Ebais.
- Integrate levels of care to improve accountability, centralize certain services, and avoid duplication of effort and inefficiencies among sectors involving the NHS.
- Redefine and strengthen collaboration between the private and public sectors.
- Create a system to collect data to evaluate the quality of service and costs.
- Relationship between patient and physician practices must occur within a framework of respect.
- Investigation should be compulsory and permanent, on all levels of the system.
- Institutions such as the College of Physicians, Surgeons and other stakeholders must join initative.