The delay to complete a construction, makes the Judicial Power to spend ¢325 million more to update the construction plans.
This money adds to the ¢222 millones already paid to make the blueprints in 1999. The design consists in three buildings of 114,829.4 square feet, which would rise at a plot in Hatillo 1.
The project plans must be updated 20 years to incorporate new constructions requirements, such as disabled persons access, new Seismic Code rules, and emergency exits.
According to the magistrate Luis Guillermo Rivas, the project couldn’t be completed on time because payroll expenses has been growing since the year 2000. This concept represents 87 percent of budget and the remaining 13 percent goes to administrative tasks.
Due to the lack of budget, the Judicial Power negotiated with Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) to set up a trust.
The project costs could reach $50 million. Once construction begins, it could take to 24 months to complete the job.
The new judicial complex would allow to the Judicial Power save on paying rents for buildings where currently many agencies function.
Source: La Nación.