Lots of people fear the so-called “May beetle”, those little insects that proliferate during this month. However, they don’t sting, don’t bite and are not toxic for human beings.
Guillermo Fernández, general practitioner of Clínica Bíblica, explains that “it’s not toxic for humans because it won’t transmit any disease. It does fly around, catching different viruses, bacteria and parasites in its legs, but it doesn’t sting so it won’t transmit anything to us”.
Therefore, the most important recommendation is to use water and soap if you get in contact with one of these animals, which only pose a threat for sugar cane plantations in their early developing stages.