Ocean currents can become your worst enemy during vacation. They take people offshore and cause death. In Costa Rica, it is estimated that every year about 60 families suffer the death of a family member due to drowning.
Therefore, if the beach is your destination for this vacations, please follow these 6 tips and avoid being added to the list:
– Talk to the locals to know if there are currents.
– Follow the instructions and pay attention to warnings displayed on signs.
– Look for areas of the beach where there are coastguards.
– Go into the sea in groups.
-Don’t go into the water under the influence of liquor, drugs or after eating.
– If you get caught by a current, do not swim against it, swim or float diagonally, just “let yourself go.”
According to Alejandro Gutiérrez, Ocean National Institute chief, drownings represent a public health problem.
The lack of lifesavers, the absence of a preventive discussion in classrooms and schools, and the lack of information on how to manage an oceanic current lead to a weekly death in Costa Rica,
Enjoy your vacation and enjoy the 600 beaches that are part of Costa Rica’s sceneries.