Forecasts for the tropical depression that would probably become a hurricane are alarming Costa Ricans.
The National Emergency Commission (CNE) declared a yellow alert throughout the national territory due to heavy rains that hit the territory and could intensify.
The National Meteorological Institute (IMN) confirmed that the depression will reach storm force soon. According to the National Hurricane Center in USA (CNH), the phenomenon will become a hurricane early on Thursday, and cross the country from border to border.
Given this situation, the CNE details which are the indicators that there is danger of flooding:
– Riverbeds saturated with garbage or clogged with logs and debris.
– Sewers obstructed with trash.
– Strong and persistent rains in the upper, middle or lower course of the river.
– Abnormal increase in water level of rivers.
– Saturation of the soil by accumulation of rainwater.
– Unusual increase in the level of the river at the mouth by very high tides.
The recommendations of the Commission to the population in general are:
– Be cautious in vulnerable areas to landslides and floods.
– In case of a thunderstorm, avoid staying in open fields, seek shelter in dry and closed areas, even in the absence of rain.
– Watch out for strong wind gusts, as they may cause removal of tree branches and power lines, among others.
– Stay alert on roads, due to possible reduced visibility in the late afternoon or during heavy rain.